Discussion: Chronological order of the Dune epic seriesReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 15 of 15  |  Show  posts at a time

Posted Anonymously
Chronological order of the Dune epic series
May 19 2010, 10:45 PM EDT | Post edited: May 19 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
What is the chronological order of all the Dune books? Here is my list. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm in the process of trying to read all the books in chronological order. I've already read #1 to 7. I've have just started on #8-Paul of Dune. I'm even re-reading all the original Dune books that I've read years ago.
1.The Butlerian Jihad
2. The Machine Crusade
3. The Battle of Corrin
4. House Atreides
5. House Harkonnen
6. House Corrino
7. Dune
8. Paul of Dune
9. Dune Messiah
10. The Winds of Dune
11. Children of Dune
12. God Emperor of Dune
13. Heretics of Dune
14. Chapterhouse Dune
15. Hunters of Dune
16. The Road To Dune
17. Sandworms of Dune
18. The Throne of Dune
19. Leto of Dune
77  out of 82 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)

Posted Anonymously
1. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
May 22 2010, 8:01 AM EDT | Post edited: May 22 2010, 8:01 AM EDT
I've scrounged around a little bit in the internet but I've yet to find a reliable source that would give me the proper order. Here is a revised list based on a little research.
1.The Butlerian Jihad
2. The Machine Crusade
3. The Battle of Corrin
4. House Atreides
5. House Harkonnen
6. House Corrino
7. Dune
8. Paul of Dune
9. Dune Messiah
10. The Winds of Dune
11. The Throne of Dune
12. Children of Dune
13. Leto of Dune
14. God Emperor of Dune
15. Heretics of Dune
16. Chapterhouse Dune
17. Hunters of Dune
18. Sandworms of Dune
19. The Road To Dune (a companion reader and could probably be read anywhere in the order)
10  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    

russ.waddel
2. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
May 23 2010, 9:34 AM EDT | Post edited: May 23 2010, 9:34 AM EDT
"I've scrounged around a little bit in the internet but I've yet to find a reliable source that would give me the proper order. Here is a revised list based on a little research.
1.The Butlerian Jihad
2. The Machine Crusade
3. The Battle of Corrin
4. House Atreides
5. House Harkonnen
6. House Corrino
7. Dune
8. Paul of Dune
9. Dune Messiah
10. The Winds of Dune
11. The Throne of Dune
12. Children of Dune
13. Leto of Dune
14. God Emperor of Dune
15. Heretics of Dune
16. Chapterhouse Dune
17. Hunters of Dune
18. Sandworms of Dune
19. The Road To Dune (a companion reader and could probably be read anywhere in the order)"
Butlerian Jihad
Machine Crusade
Battle Of Corrin
House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino
Dune
Paul of Dune
Dune Messiah
Winds of Dune
Children of Dune
Throne of Dune?
Leto of Dune?
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune
Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune

I am not sure about the time from "Children of Dune" to "God Emperor", since those books haven't been written yet. The Road to Dune contains letters, unpublished chapters from Dune and Dune Messiah, and a brand new story that is based on an outline that Frank had written and shelved prior to writing Dune itself.

Check out www.dunenovels.com for more info.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
3. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
May 23 2010, 8:04 PM EDT | Post edited: May 23 2010, 8:04 PM EDT
I just finished Part I of Paul of Dune, which continues the story after Dune. But Part II to Part VI falls between House Corrino and Dune in the timeline, since it covers Paul's life from the age of 12. Part VII reverts back to when Paul becomes Emperor. At least that's what it looked like when I thumbed through the book.
Thanks for your input on the list, Russ. You may be right with The Throne of Dune following Children of Dune.
Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Jun 4 2010, 3:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 4 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
Throne of Dune is a direct sequel to Winds of Dune.

The "correct" order is publication order:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune

House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino

Butlerian Jihad
Machine Crusade
Battle of Corrin

Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune

Paul of Dune
Winds of Dune

Any other order opens you up to HUGE SPOILERS - stuff like the truth about the Tleilaxu, absolutely incredible in Heretics and Chapterhouse, yet openly de-mistified in the House books. The previous book sets up the next book - machines in the Legends leads to machines in the Sequels. Paul's old scar in the Sequels leads to Paul getting stabbed in POD. It's not a wild coincidence that they neatly connect up in publication order. You're robbing yourself if you attempt them in any other order. :)
22  out of 29 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
5. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Mar 17 2011, 2:31 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
The above order will mean you are going forwards and backwards which will only serve to confuse!! Even though many have read the books as they were published ...,Now that you have a choice in what order to read them if you are new to dune ,I would go with the first guys suggestion and start with the butlerian jihad.. 3  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
6. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Feb 13 2012, 4:28 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 13 2012, 4:28 AM EST
There is definitely a different take on the series depending which order you read the books and having read them in both orders I agree with your opinion. For a first time read I would recommend reading them in the order they were published as it better captures Franks original intent. If you're no stranger to the series and read at least the original 3 books it might be interesting to approach the series from a chronological perspective. The Spice Must Flow ;) 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
clmommsen
clmommsen
7. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Mar 23 2012, 8:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2012, 8:11 AM EDT
I totally agree with this order. Not only with this series, but any series, reading them in the order of publication carries the storyline along more seamlessly. There is a reason series are written and released in the order they are. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
8. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Mar 24 2012, 2:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 24 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Not necessarily....since the author may have thought of concepts that would ordinarily have come "first." C. S. Lewis' "Narnia" is a good example. Many people are under the assumption that "publication" order is the right way to read them (since that is how they are normally packaged) but actually Lewis himself (before his death) and his stepson have both confirmed that "chronological order" (magician's nephew to last battle, horse and his boy between LWW and PC). I think that many times it comes down to "personal preference." Read them in any order you choose. I don't think Frank Herbert has said "you must read them this way." But, since I live in Port Townsend, I could try to channel his spirit and find out... Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
9. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Mar 25 2012, 12:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 25 2012, 12:45 AM EDT
You are right of course, it all comes down to personal preference. Personally, I think Narnia may be an exception to my "read by publication date" method, I don't know enough about it to say. Since you live in Port Townsend (a place I love!), and know about channelling spirits, I tend to respect your position ;-) But with Dune, I would think you would want to read all the "originals" by Frank Herbert first, and then go back and fill it. But as you say, that's just me. Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
10. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Mar 26 2012, 7:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 26 2012, 7:55 AM EDT
Hello Dune Fans - rlbryant10@comcast.net here - Just for you guys information there is a new Dune book probably about four or five months old entitled "Sisterhood of Dune" and it will fall just after House of Corrino. Checked all of the replys and noted no one had this book listed. But is in fact a New Original Dune novel written by the original Dune authors. (not of course the father as he is unfortunately deceased) - I am too rereading the series as I started rereading when this new writing was completed and available for purchase. I have just finished it and though it is not the best of the series neither is it the worse. Thanks Dune readers. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
11. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Mar 29 2012, 7:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 29 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
RE; Sisterhood of Dune will fall after reading Fall of Corrin...and will cover the origins of the bene geserit, the guild, and the Suk Doctors... 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
12. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Jul 20 2012, 6:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 20 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
"Throne of Dune is a direct sequel to Winds of Dune.

The "correct" order is publication order:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune

House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino

Butlerian Jihad
Machine Crusade
Battle of Corrin

Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune

Paul of Dune
Winds of Dune

Any other order opens you up to HUGE SPOILERS - stuff like the truth about the Tleilaxu, absolutely incredible in Heretics and Chapterhouse, yet openly de-mistified in the House books. The previous book sets up the next book - machines in the Legends leads to machines in the Sequels. Paul's old scar in the Sequels leads to Paul getting stabbed in POD. It's not a wild coincidence that they neatly connect up in publication order. You're robbing yourself if you attempt them in any other order. :)"
I lost track of Dune several years ago . After deciding to get caught up I was having fits trying to figure out where to begin . ~ you have my thanks for your help .
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
clmommsen
clmommsen
13. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Jul 21 2012, 12:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 21 2012, 12:56 AM EDT
In response to post number 12 above: As I said before, I agree totally that reading by D of P is best. Your reasoning is well put. Thanks for posting. I read the original series way back when, and started rereading it recently. Was overwhelmed by all the add-ons, but determined to read by Date of Publication. Am picking up Chapter House from my library today! No one has said differently, so I'm hoping the add-ons are as well written and well plotted as the originals ....
Do you find this valuable?    

Posted Anonymously
14. RE: Chronological order of the Dune epic series
Oct 3 2012, 6:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 3 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
I love this series. I have found that if you are new to the Dune epic it is best to read the originals first so you can experience Frank Herbert's own way of writing and then read them in chronological order. But as so many of you have said it is a personal preference. Do you find this valuable?